Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Sauce


I know it's been a few days since I last posted but cooking for one makes the frequency of new recipes lessen because of how gosh darn long it takes to eat one's way through an entire meal and its leftovers by oneself. For instance, the quiche I mentioned over two weeks ago? Finished it just a few days ago. And, for those haters that think any food over a week old should be thrown out? It was actually still delicious on day 12.

Another glitch is that it is Lent. As you may know, I gave up microwaves. So my choice in recipes is limited because it has to reheat easily without a microwave. Being of the generation that is spoiled by entrees being reheated in two minutes, I have yet to reheat a meal completely. Again, the quiche I mentioned over two weeks ago? Except for the first night, it was never really completely warm when I ate it. And, for those haters that think any food not completely hot should be sent back -- you try waiting twenty minutes for a leftover piece of quiche only to find it is still tepid in the middle . . . you'll settle for the lukewarm slice as well.

Thus, when I found this Pork Tenderloin recipe from the folks at Martha Stewart's Everyday Food cookbook, I was immediately impressed with its sophisticated appearance (I'll do anything to perk up a Wednesday evening) and the fact that I could eat it cold on a sandwich with the same mustard sauce. Yummy!

Preparation was remarkably easy. All on the stove top and in one pan! A little salt, pepper, EVOO followed by a few minutes of browning the outsides finished with 25 minutes of covered cooking. The mustard sauce is made from the juices of the meat. And it is one of those recipes that isn't mind-blowingly fantastic when the pieces are tasted separately but when put together, the two complement each other perfectly.


Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pork tenderloins (1 pound each)
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup whole-grain mustard (not to be confused with mustard seeds seeds -- which I bought at first)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream

Heat the olive oil in a large straight-sided skillet over high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Cook until browned on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover; cook, turning the pork occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the centers registers 150 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes. (I never got to this point because I let it sit on there for 40 minutes and it was still reading at 140 so I just went for it. And I'm still alive at this point.) Transfer the pork to a plate, reserving the skillet with juices. Cover with foil and let rest 10 minutes. To the skillet, add both mustards, the sour cream, and any accumulated pork juices from the plate; whisk over medium heat until heated through (do not boil). Add water if the sauce is too thick. Slice the pork; serve with the pan sauce.

No comments: