Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday Night Brownies


At the end of a long week (a week where Monday seems like a year ago yet I also find myself wondering what happened to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday), Friday evening arrives on a giant exhale of adrenaline. I am at the same time exhausted yet giddy at the anticipation of the weekend. This weekend especially since we are on the brink of March Madness and I am in possession of two ACC Tournament tickets for tomorrow's games. I am also in possession of one set of toy pots and pans for the little man in my life -- my nephew, John, who turns 2 on Monday (don't worry, he will still be surprised because, although a genius at age 1 year and 362 days, he doesn't type well enough to get to this blog -- but he could read it if he managed to get to it). And, I am taking Monday off to go to the Raleigh/Durham area for some wedding planning. So, with those exciting events facing me and the week behind me, I figured I would need something to both reward myself for a solid week at work while giving me a treat to celebrate the next few days of fun. Thus, Friday Night Brownies (renamed from this Southern Living cookbook).


They were amazingly easy to make and although the cookbook recommends about thirty variations with different frostings, add-ins, glazes, etc.; I went with the basic. No nuts, no toppings, no crunchies. Just a solid, cake-like brownie.


Looks like a pretty good Friday night.

Friday Night Brownies
or Basic Brownies from here.
1 cup butter
4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate baking squares
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Microwave butter and chocolate squares in a 1-quart microwave safe bowl at high for 2 minutes or until both are melted, stirring mixture once. Beat eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer; gradually add sugar, beat well. Add flour, salt, and vanilla, beating well. Stir in chocolate mixture. Pour batter into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Yield: 2 1/2 dozen.


No comments: