Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Golden Chicken Quiche

Golden Chicken Quiche. Why does that sound like an Asian dish to me? I can confirm that it is not though and this quiche actually takes on a more Southern spin -- from the celery sauteed in butter to the addition of two fairly large tablespoons of powdered mustard, to the meat being good 'ole, simple chicken. And the fact that it came from my church's cookbook. Sometimes the most enjoyable cooking experiences come from one's local cookbooks. I made this thinking of the woman who submitted this recipe -- knowing she made this recipe for her family. It adds a sense of camaraderie in the kitchen. Even though I am cooking alone, I feel that she and her entire family are with me. And it's always nice to feel a little closer to home.

Not surprisingly, celery is manageable when it is sauteed in butter.

Cheddar Cheese + Paprika = Golden Outcome

Just call me "Cafe du MJ."

Golden Chicken Quiche
From A Patchwork of Recipes - Celebrating 150 Years at Beth Eden Lutheran Church
9-inch frozen deep-dish pie shell
1 c. celery, chopped
1 Tbsp. butter
1 c. chicken, diced (can also be made with turkey but then you have to call it Golden Turkey Quiche)
2 Tbsp. powdered mustard
1 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
Paprika
3 eggs
1 c. milk
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat an empty cookie sheet in 375 degree oven. Add pie shell in pie plate to hot cookie sheet (pierce with fork). Bake 10 minutes. Cook celery in butter until tender. Mix other ingredients except cheese and paprika; pour into pie shell with celery. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake at 375 degree for 25 to 35 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks fantastic!! Making me hungry for breakfast/brunch as I sit in my hotel room in Washington State and work. (This is Carrie btw :)).