Saturday, January 19, 2013

Thai Coconut Lentils


I love weekends.  Adding an extra day makes them even better.  I start them off with a list of all the things I want to accomplish and then, inevitably, I end the weekend on Monday night watching the Bachelor  and thinking about how I only marked off a quarter of what I had planned.  Let's hope I at least spend some time watching the Inauguration (or at least the assessment of Sasha and Malia's outfit choices) and do something for humankind in honor of MLK Jr. Day.  

Speaking of The Bachelor.  I am extremely excited about this season.  I have been a loyal viewer of the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise since Season 2.  I watched through college when my older and wiser sorority sisters would have viewing parties of the show and explain this is how not to go about getting a guy and then have kept watching over 20 seasons later.  I remember every moment on this list like it was yesterday and I loyally follow many of my favorite contestants as they continue to make their way through life.  Except Jason.  I am still hurt about that one. 

You may wonder why I'm talking about my dedication like it's something I'm proud of.  I will remind you that I can't make it through a weekend to-do list so 25 seasons of a tv show is pretty impressive. 

Granted, the show is incredibly entertaining.  It's a great mixture of hot and spicy romance with sweet and tender moments.  And then the contestants themselves are often a train wreck which makes all of us look better.  I make Robbie watch it so he knows how lucky he is.  And then I feed him this dinner.  Perfectly appropriate for your next Bachelor viewing party.  It is hot and spicy from the curry and pepper while sweet and tender from the coconut milk and sweet potatoes.  Maybe it could be the next contestant on the Bachelor.  Someone get Chris Harrison on the phone.  

Thai Coconut Lentils
Adapted from Pinch of Yum via Tasty Kitchen

1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ heads green cabbage, chopped
3 cups cubed sweet potatoes
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoons salt
1 can Coconut Milk, 14 ounce
1-½ Tablespoon Green Curry paste 
½ cups Crushed Peanuts For Topping

Rinse your lentils well to avoid any gritty taste in the final product.  Cook the lentils in a pot of boiling water until soft, for about 45 minutes. Drain the water and set  lentils aside. While lentils are cooking, saute the garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the cabbage and stir fry until the cabbage begins to soften.   If you would like more cabbage, you can add it here.  The cabbage gives this dish a lot of heft.  Remove from heat and set aside (or add to the bowl of lentils – everything will be added back into the pan momentarily).  Add a little more oil to the pan and add the sweet potato. Season with the cayenne, chili powder, and salt—or any other seasonings you like. Add the coconut milk and simmer the squash for 8-10 minutes or until soft but not mushy. Add the green curry paste and stir until mixed in with the coconut milk.  Add the cooked cabbage and lentils to the squash and gently stir to combine. Top each bowl with chopped peanuts if you desire.

No comments: