Monday, September 03, 2012

Cranberry and Edamame Snack Mix


Hellooooo September!  Robbie and I spent the Labor Day weekend in a charming, small town on Lake Michigan for a friend’s wedding.  We stayed at a quaint inn steps from the shore and got to watch the end of summer approach from a different angle.  Instead of the crowded, sun burnt surroundings of my summer vacations in North Myrtle Beach, this town does it differently.  There were gated cottage communities (think Dirty Dancing-like), walks on calm beaches with minimal crowds, the evening passing of the town’s ferry, views of the harbor’s lighthouse, and, my favorite, nearly-0% humidity.  Now if only I could find a place like that on the East Coast . . .
 
(Sunset and ferry.  No, the ferry is not on fire.  Fun Fact - because we were on the Western edge of the Eastern Time Zone, the sun set around 9 o'clock.)
We had about a two-hour drive upon landing in Grand Rapids which, incredibly, had fewer non-stop options from NYC airports than I would have thought.  So, in addition to reading material, chargers for all five of my electronic devices that I insist on taking even though I only end up using one, and three search-and-find books, I also like to have snacks. They keep me calm during flights – not necessarily eating them, but just knowing they are there within arm’s reach. And, unless you want to pay heart-stopping prices at the Hudson News in the airport, I recommend you make your own.  Like this delicious four-ingredient snack mix of sorts.
 
I warn you though, it is quite addictive.  As you can see, I didn’t even get it in the super-cute glass jar I was going to store it in because the spoon and the baking sheet served as enough of a medium to enjoy it.  ALL of it. 

Cranberry and Edamame Mix
Adapted from Shutterbean

1 ½ cup frozen, shelled edamame
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt

Thaw the edamame.  Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and spread the thawed edamame on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with the olive oil, tossing with a spoon to coat as many of the edamame beans as you can.  Sprinkle with salt.  Roast in oven for 20 – 22 minutes until the edamame is crisp.  Let cool.  Toss with the cranberries and, if they make it to the end of the day, they can be stored in an air tight container. 

No comments: