Saturday, February 04, 2012

Chili Blanco


Any good football on this weekend? Just kidding! Happy Super Bowl Weekend! Even though I am a resident New Yorker now, I am still pulling for the Patriots with, what I feel, are fairly legitimate reasons.

Reason #1 - Robbie's family is a staunch Washington Redskins family so I feel like I would be breaking their hearts if I pulled for the Giants.

Reason #2 - I want to be that person at the Super Bowl Party who pulls for the team everyone else is pulling against which is bound to happen when the hometown team is playing. I think that will make for a more exciting time.

Reason #3 - Tom Brady.

Oh and, Gisele - If you are reading this, I did receive your email this week and have been praying for a safe and successful Super Bowl for (y)our man.
So if you are looking for some yummy, Super Bowl chili, I recommend this recipe. First of all, it's a white chili so right off the bat you are not declaring allegiances to either team and therefore not taking my approach of being that guest at the party. Also, it lends itself to something heartier without being too heavy like those of the red variety can sometimes be. And who doesn't love a topping bar? Sour cream, chips, cheese, peppers . . . the options are endless.

So sit back, enjoy the game (or the commercials if that's your preference) and warm up to some good chili. Because, let's be honest, the number of times you crave chili is about to drastically drop until Fall rolls around again and football is back on your brain.

Chili Blanco
Adapted from www.weightwatchers.com (see, it's healthy too!)

2 chipotle peppers from a can that have been marinated in adobo sauce (usually in the aisle with the Latin food)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 Rotisserie chicken meat, shredded
1/2 pound fresh, white mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
15 oz. can of white beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 3/4 cup canned chicken broth
A squirt of fresh lime juice

Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened. Add the chicken, mushrooms, cumin, and coriander and cook until the mushrooms begin to soften (about 4 minutes). Add the beans, broth and chiles. Cover and cook until flavors are blended, about 8 minutes. Uncover, reduce the heat, and cook until thickened, about 7 minutes longer. Stir in the lime juice.

You won't have as much broth as you may expect from a chili - it's definitely more heavy on the solid ingredients than liquid ones but I found that it still made me feel like I was eating a bowl of chili due to the flavor.




No comments: