Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Chipotle Turkey Chili



So far, 2011 has been such a tease. Sunday we encountered a sunny afternoon with temperatures inching up towards the 60s and I thought to myself “When did March follow New Year’s?” Even though just a little over a week ago the entire state of North Carolina had encountered a snowstorm, I thought maybe we had fast-forwarded to March 20th and I should be watching the NCAA Tournament instead of the new Bachelor premiere (speaking of teases . . .).
But alas, it is January and when Sunday was followed by Monday with a high not even reaching 50 (I can hear those folks north of Maryland scoffing at my definition of ‘cold weather’) I got the inkling for some chili. So I made some. I am once more cozy in my apartment and accepting of a couple more months of winter weather. Afterall, I need these weeks to infiltrate into the many reality shows that premiere this month and next month. For additional information and because I know you care, here’s the line-up for this season so you have something to watch while you enjoy your chili:
Jan. 3 – The Bachelor (OMG. I cannot explain my adoration for this show except to say it is a train wreck and I can’t not watch.)
Jan. 6 – The Biggest Loser (I watch this for inspiration and because I like the way it brings me to tears every time they vote someone off. It clears my sinuses.)
Jan. 19 – American Idol (Still not tired of it even though 66% of the judges are new. And I’m a Ryan Seacrest fan. No lie.)
Feb. 6 – Glee (It may not be a reality show but it is my reality life in my dreams. Can you tell I recently watched Inception?)
Feb. 16 –Survivor (A classic. And it helps me feel better about my semi-monotonous lunch routine of Lean Cuisines. At least I’m not having rice for every meal.)
Feb. 20 – The Amazing Race (The one reality show I would most like to be on until I realize I would embarrass myself due to some unintential inappropriate comment and/or get sick on national television because I ate a bowl of pig intestines.)
Feb. 23 – America’s Next Top Model (I’m still trying to perfect my ability to smise.)
Ok, that's the current line-up until warmer weather and Big Brother starts.
Samuel, out.
Serves 6 (The original recipe says it serves 4 but I highly doubt that unless you are feeding four bottomless pits. I got 6 servings out of it.)
1 package ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-oz) can black beans
1 can (15-oz) refried beans (I used refried black beans.)
½ c Chipotle Salsa (I made the special effort to buy Chipotle Salsa not regular salsa. Can’t say how much of a difference it made but it was yummy.)
2 tbsp barbecue sauce
Sour Cream for dolloping
Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions five minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until brown, breaking it up as it cookies. Add ground cumin and cook one minute longer. Add remaining ingredients (refried beans should be broken up and stirred into the chili until they are dissolved). Let chili come to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for ten minutes. Garnish with sour cream if one so desires.

No comments: